Wednesday, September 17, 2008

wednesday



O.K., so I let a few things get in the way of hunting this week....On monday I spent some time in the recording studio working on one of my other interests. Tuesday afternoon was spent with my daughter exploring the woods behind our house, having an
adventure, as she likes to call it. So with dance class to attend on thursday, and more adventures planned for friday, today was for Vera.
We were in the woods just down the road from home by 4:30....and it was HOT...we had hunted for about 30 minutes with one grouse flush (heard, never seen) when I led her back to the truck for some water. I normally carry a water bottle with me but somehow forgot it in my rush to "get-a-goin". After reaching the truck I realized I had also forgotten my camera, and made the decision to return home for these items.
The next spot was an old mine-dump...I live in an area of minnesota known as the "iron range" where open pit mines dot the landscape and our economy relies heavily on the worlds need for steel. As these mines move their operations they leave behind areas that quickly fill with wildlife. Most areas are closed to hunting (thanks to the actions of a few knuckleheads) but this one is open and convenient. It sees alot of atv traffic, but I avoid the trails anyway so it's really not a concern of mine.
The mines leave the earth bare when they move, and most tree growth is stunted and sparse. This makes for much easier walking than in the new growth found in clearcuts that I frequent. Vera seemed to prefer the thick cover, however, and I followed happily hoping for some bird finds. Here's a little video of some of that cover.

Perhaps saturday will be our lucky day......

No comments: